Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Have we taken our health for granted?


Today I had the pleasure of meeting another one of my former colleagues from London in Riyadh.  Sadly, we met at the hospital… I think many of you will agree that after graveyards, hospitals are probably the second most depressing places to be in.  The reason we met in the hospital was because his young son, may Allah protect him, suffered a serious injury a few months a go whereby he had to go through 2 major operations.


The last time I saw this young child was just over a year a go in London as he and his younger brother would come back from school and hang around at work waiting for their father to finish to go home.  Back then, I remember him smiling, laughing, joking around and praying with us.  A genuinely nice child.  Yet, today, I was heartbroken to see that very same child lying on the hospital bed with tubes stuck to various parts of his body… unable to move… unable to speak.  The only way he was communicating was with his eyes.  His father would ask a question and he would signal with his eyes to say yes or no.  You might think this is bad but Alhamdulilah this is a big improvement from how he has been for the past 2 months and we thank Allah for that. He has a long way to go and I can only ask you all reading this to make dua for him and his family… We can't even begin to imagine what they must be going through.

Having said all of this, once again, Allah (swt) reminded me of a few things from this.  Firstly, I saw his father content with the Qadr of Allah.  Many times throughout the conversation I heard him say Alhamdulilah.  This is the beauty of Islam, a true believer is always content and patient with what Allah (swt) has decreed for him/her as he/she understands that this is only a temporary test and ultimately Allah (swt) is Ar-Rahman and Ar-Raheem.  Secondly, the question arose: have we taken our health for granted?  When was the last time that I myself thanked Allah for the things I take for granted, like: walking, talking, breathing, being able to see, hear, touch and feel?  

Today it's this young child lying on a hospital bed and I've come to see him, but, who's to say tomorrow it won't be me in that place and others will come to see me?  This is a question we must all ask ourselves and then really think about whether we are utilising the blessing of health for the halal or the haraam? Are we really taking advantage of our health or were we to be in that situation would we have regrets?  If we think it's the latter then it's still not too late to change the situation.  I leave you with these golden words from the Messenger of Allah (pbuh):

“Take benefit of five before five:
your youth before your old age,
your health before your sickness,
your wealth before your poverty,
your free-time before your preoccupation,

and your life before your death.”

Post a Comment

0 Comments