Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

An Easy Way to Practice Arabic?


I recently (about a month and a half a go) started taking Arabic lessons using Al-Arabiya Bayna Yaddayk.  Prior to this, I had mainly concentrated on Madinah Arabic book 1.  Alhamdulilah I love both the books but have found ABY very useful in terms of learning conversational Arabic.  I was trying to come up with ways of memorising what I was learning.  Alhamdulilah I don't have a major issue with remembering vocabulary, however, I know that without practice, it'll be forgotten.  Below is one way I'm currently using to make sure that doesn't happen.

However, it's not always easy to find someone to practice with.  So, here's what I've been doing: basically, as we go through the book, I've been writing down the key questions and activities from each exercise in english.  The aim being to periodically look at these questions, translate these questions in to Arabic yourself and then to answer them in Arabic.  I personally find this method useful.  For those of you who want to try, I've compiled the following list from the first few exercises.  Try it out and see if it works for you.  Remember, read the question, translate it in to Arabic and then answer it in Arabic.  Try to vary your answers too.  One question could be answered in many different ways, challenge yourself:

(Apologies about the briefness of the questions, they were just meant to be for self-reference but I thought they may benefit others, hence sharing)

Greetings - Hello, Hi, etc
What is your Name?
How Are you? 
Where are you from?
What's your nationality?
This is my friend, he/she is an engineer…
This is my brother/sister, he/she is…
Who is this?
This is my father/mother/sister/brother etc.. he/she is a ….
Is this a tree?
This is the adhaan for Fajr
Where are the children?
Saad is in the bathroom making wudhu
Where's Saeed?
Saeed's in the room reciting the Quran
Where's saeeda?
She's in the prayer room, she's praying
Where's my coat?
Where are my glasses?
Here are your glasses O father
Let us go to the Masjid
Where do you live? (Area, then place)
Do you live in a house/apartment/hotel?
How many rooms in your hotel/house etc?
I would like an apartment please
We have a beautiful apartment
How many rooms in this apartment?
What floor is the apartment on?
I want to see the apartment
I need some furniture
What do you need for the bedroom?
I need a bed and curtains
I need a boiler (Sakhaan) and a mirror
I need a fridge and oven
I would like to see the furniture
I want a carpet
I want a sofa
Do you live in a house?
What floor is the apartment on?
The apartment is on the fifth floor
What time do you wakeup?
I wake up at fajr
Where do you pray fajr?
Do you go to sleep after fajr?
What do you do after the prayer?
When do you goto school?
Do you go by car?
What will you do (shortly) O Taha?
I will clean the sitting/living room.
What will you do O Ahmed?
I will wash the clothes
What will you do O Lateefa?
I will iron the clothes.
I will wash the dishes
When do you wake up on holidays?
I wake up early.
I wake up late.
What do you do in the morning?

I watch the TV and read the newspaper.

Post a Comment

0 Comments