Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Some tips and advice on travelling long distances, alone


I don’t think anyone would dispute that travelling with someone is probably the best way to explore places, but, sometimes, people won’t be available or will let you down. This shouldn’t stop you from doing what you love. Somebody, a long long time a go, told me that if you really want to do something in life, go out and do it. Do not wait for people. If you wait for others you’ll get very little done. To me, that was golden advice.


This last week was the longest drive I’ve ever done alone. To be honest, when I was planning the trip, I had a number of brothers interested and wanting to go. However, as is often the case, one by one they all started dropping out. But, in a way, I’m glad they did because Alhamdulilah it was a good experience with many lessons learnt.

So, I just wanted to share some of my tips and advice for doing long distance travels/drives alone:

- Check your tyres and check the spare tyre. One of my tyres punctured, I changed to the spare tyre and what do you know, the spare was already punctured too lol Alhamdulilah I was in a city and getting tyres replaced wasn’t a big issue.

- Split your journey up. Apart from the return trip, I ensured that I stopped every 3 hours to get some rest and explore an area.

- Try to get good sleep at night. I tried to sleep around 6 hours each night. I woke up refreshed and didn’t feel tired the whole day.

- Have a very light breakfast. The more you eat, for some weird reason, the more tired you become.

- Skip lunch. Worked wonders for me.

- Drink lots and lots of water.

- Have companions in the form of some awesome Quran recitation, beautiful reminders and maybe some nasheeds

- Make sure you have all the essentials: Phone, gps, phone charger, etc.

Most of all: enjoy every second of it smile emoticon

Some benefits of traveling alone:

- Time for contemplation - you're not rushed. You have plenty of time to yourself to contemplate, ponder over what you see and sometimes, show your emotions.

- Go where you want and not where others want you to go

- Time for learning and revision. Long distances are awesome for learning something via audio

- In your own time! No waiting for others no arguments on how long to spend in a place etc smile emoticon

Post a Comment

0 Comments